Azure AD Joined vs Domain Joined

Sachindra

I went through your video, but still I am a bit confused. My organization has provided me a laptop, if it is managed by Intune (MDM), it is Azure AD joined, meaning my company will have full control over my laptop. Another scenario, for my personal mobile phone, in order to access company resources, I created a work profile, which I did using Intune Company Portal, this is Domain Joined, for which the company will have access to my work profile only. Also, Hybrid Azure AD joined is the same as Domain Joined. If I take my personal device (BYOD) for a temporary time period and access company wi-fi or LAN, I would need to have it Azure AD registered, so that company policies apply. Kindly correct my understanding in case you find it completely wrong.

Hi Sachindra,

The personal mobile phone, which as work profile is just Microsoft Entra registered device (formerly known as Azure AD registered), this is not the scenario of domain joined.

Domain joined scenario or hybrid Azure AD joined scenario, both have one thing in common ie. joined to domain while the latter one is joined to domain + joined to Azure AD as well.

For instance, if you have a personal device (windows) with Azure AD registered scenario, you are able to access company resources. This will be the BYOD scenario, and will not be fully managed by your organization. Connecting to company wi-fi or LAN won't change the status of join status. In other words, device registered to Microsoft Entra ID will still be having device registered when connected to company's internet, it won't make it Microsoft Entra joined device.

I hope this clarifies your query.